Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reading Response Part 3

After reading the Don Tapscott's response to his own article Growing Up Digital, I got the view of internet/computer use for adolescents from both sides.


After reading the article, I found three criticisms that I found were most important.

The first criticism that I found important is the one where Tapscott makes of the adolescents' ability to multitask. I believe it is true that parents do not understand the concept of multitasking. The entire concept of multitasking is to be able to do more than one thing at one time without a loss in attention or in the quality of work.
After the internet has become a major part of a teen's life, multitasking has really become a skill that every teen has. I completely agree with Tapscott because I feel I am good at multitasking with the use of computers/internet as well. As of right now, I am multitasking. I am instant messaging, scanning pictures for yearbook, and writing this article all at one time. This point is important because without the internet being a trainer for multitasking, multitasking would be a difficult thing to do.

Another criticism that I found important is when Tapscott mentions that the internet does not decline a teen`s interpersonal skills. This is true in many ways and this fact needs to be enforced so that parents understand that. People have felt that the internet causes teens to become hidden in the walls of the world wide web, but that is not true. Today there are websites like Facebook and MySpace which allows the user to become more socially active than one that does not use Facebook. Of course this does not apply for all, but as a teen who has experienced a boost in interpersonal skills that has been influenced by Facebook, I can speak for this criticism.

The third criticism that I found important is the fact that Tapscott makes about kids that don`t pay attention in school. I feel teachers should look into this fact because optimal teaching styles changes frequently. In order to keep students engaged and interested at all times, teachers must adapt to newer and more exciting forms of education. Technology is a great new way of educating students while keeping them focused at all times.


I do agree with Mr Tapscott when he says we need to change "the relationship between student and teacher in the learning process".
I believe teachers should find a new way of teaching students due to the rapid rise of technology. Students these days are not as much engaged with lectures and textbook questions anymore. If teachers were to implicate technologies into their teaching styles, students can experience a more entertaining learning experience and perhaps a more convenient one as well. For example, if assignments were to be submitted online rather that in person, a click of a button to hand in assignments is more convenient than spending money on ink and destroying trees to bring the assignment to school the following day.


Of the two articles, I believe this article arguing that Growing Up Digital is beneficial to everybody is right in every aspect.
I strongly agree with the arguments that were placed in this article because I can speak for the arguments myself. The arguments that were in the article against digitally influenced teenaged years were weak. I felt the arguments were biased and only looked at the perspectives of the students that lack self control. The full benefits of the internet and computer use are so great that they cannot be determined in present time.
I believe all the arguments in this article and I strongly believe that if used correctly, the digitally influenced teenagers can harvest more knowledge and skills than a teenager that did not have access to the wonders of a digital world.


After reading this article, my position remains the same as I feel that in the big picture, the digital world brings nothing but benefits.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home